Which leak repairs are my responsibility?

The water mains and pipes in public roads and footpaths (called the ‘public highway’) are our responsibility. Pipes not in the public highway are normally your responsibility.

There is usually an underground stop tap at the boundary of your property in the footpath, and there may also be a meter installed here. Both the stop tap and meter are our responsibility.

The pipe that carries water from the stop tap into your house is called the supply pipe and this is normally your responsibility.

In the event of a leak on this pipe or within your property, you may find that you are covered by your household insurance policy.

We recommend that you contact your own plumber to carry out the necessary repairs.

A directory of approved, qualified plumbers can be found on the WaterSafe website watersafe.org.uk or by calling 0333 207 9030.


How well did this answer your question?
Please click the stars above to rate this answer from 1 (worst) to 5 (best)
Comment on this answer
(please do not use this box for other enquiries)
characters remaining